ENGIE Energy Access is a leading off-grid solar, Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGo) and mini-grid solutions provider in Africa, with a mission to deliver life-changing, affordable, reliable, and sustainable energy solutions with exceptional customer experience. Engie targets the 80% of Ugandans who do not have access to electricity by offering a long-term investment model that allows them to afford solar energy solutions.
Engie has continued to scale its model and pick on lessons learned from its coverage over nine Sub-Saharan countries, promoting clean energy and affordable financing while being profitable. Engie is now looking to scale its reach and services by continuously innovating and testing new products and market approaches, extend distribution channels to meet more customers in hard-to-reach areas, prefinance the cost of hardware such as solar kits, have sufficient working capital to meet overhead costs as service coverage expands. ENGIE will be able to meet the needs of its clients while also making profits and growing the business.
Engie currently provides affordable solar kits and supplementary financing solutions within refugee and host communities which improves the overall standard of living for refugees. Engie already has experience working in refugee settlements in Uganda, (Kiryandongo and Rwanwanja camps) and with a business model that is tailored for vulnerable communities lacking access to energy in remote areas:
- Engie provides last-mile distribution solutions to distribute solar kits thanks to a wide network of sales agents.
- Engie provides financing solutions for their customers to afford solar kits, which can be repaid by mobile money. This facility in payment can match with the potential mobility of refugee communities.
- Engie’s operations are labour intensive and would require recruitment of sales agents with refugee communities and/or host communities.
Engie Energy Access Uganda has a diverse and vastly experienced team.
- Robert Philippe – Country Director
- Patrick Tusingwire – Head of Commercial
- Marjoleine Bemire – Head of Customer Experience
- Sarah Chemutai – Head of Human Resources
- Hugo Hotte – Head of Operations
- Patricia Kawooya – Head of Finance & Administration
- Jack Pegler – Head of Customer Finance